My WatchI love my Apple Watch! I bought the 42mm Stainless Steel Apple Watch with the white sport band on launch day (April 24th).
|My Apple Watch with the Mickey Mouse watch face!|
How It Works for FitnessThe way the Apple Watch works in terms of fitness is as follows:
- It tracks your steps
- It takes your heart rate every 10 minutes
- It constantly tracks your heart rate when you use the workout app
- It knows when you're standing, and taps you if you haven't stood by 50 minutes into the hour
- It tracks exercise in minutes
- It tracks "move calories" which are the calories burned from being active
- It gives you achievement medals for hitting various goals and milestones (making it FUN!)
- It sends the data to your iPhone's Activity and Health apps so you can see a whole lot more detailed information!
- And more I'm likely forgetting!
|The iPhone Activity App|
|The Activity app on the Apple Watch|
|Achievements I have so far!|
Using The Workout AppUsing the Workout app is simple: before you start to workout you just open the workout app, choose the type of workout (I choose Other Workout since my PiYo, P90X and Body Beast workouts are not a typical cardio workout) and set either a calorie burn goal or a time goal. It does a 3 second countdown and then I start my workout.
At any point in the workout you can look at your wrist to see how you're progressing, or what your heart rate is at.
|The screen on the Apple Watch during a workout.|
At the end of my workout, I'll just Force Touch (hard press) the screen and choose the "End Workout" option. It then provides a summary of my workout on the screen and I can Save or Discard the workout. All in all, it provides some great feedback!
Final ThoughtsI really enjoy my Apple Watch. It's giving me very valuable information about my workouts and overall daily activity that I love.
If you're on the fence about getting an Apple Watch because you're not sure how useful it'll be and you're into (or wanting to get into) fitness, do it. You won't be disappointed!
The activity tracking is definitely one of my top 3 things I love about the device and I don't ever want to be without this new feedback again.
Check out Apple's site that has some more details on the Health & Fitness features of the Apple Watch here: http://www.apple.com/watch/health-and-fitness/.