Smoky Chipotle Turkey Chili
THIS! This is now my FAVOURITE chili of ALLLLL TIME.
I've always been a lover of smoky chipotle flavours. So adding it to chili is a sure-fire win in my books! If you're not fond of spice...beware this one has a kick--but most things with chipotle peppers do so now you know. :)
About 12 1.5-cup servings. Feel free to cut the ingredients in half to make half of the servings.
2 pounds ground turkey
1 large diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large diced green bell pepper
1 large diced red bell pepper
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup chunky salsa
3.5 oz (½ can) chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (use gloves or you'll be sorry!!!)
2 cans corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 large pack sliced fresh mushrooms
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
- Heat a large, non-stick pot over medium-high heat and stir in the ground turkey, onion, garlic, green pepper, and red pepper.
- Cook and stir until the turkey is crumbly, evenly-browned, and no longer pink, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, salsa, chipotle peppers (including adobo sauce), corn, mushrooms, and black beans.
- Season with lime juice, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, and cilantro.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the flavors develop, 1 to 3 hours.
(Adapted and improved upon from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/waistline-friendly-turkey-chili/detail.aspx)