Spaghetti Squash Pad Thai
I saw this recipe over at one of my favourite nutrition tracking sites, MyFitnessPal! It's a healthier take on pad thai that doesn't have all the carbs of the typical rice noodle variety! Wheat-free, gluten-free and dairy-free!
- 1 pound Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breast
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash
- 2 large Carrots, grated
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 4 Green Onions, thinly sliced + more for garnish
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/3 cup chopped Unsalted Peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Rice Vinegar (or substitute White Vinegar)
- 2 tablespoons Lime Juice
- 3 tablespoons Honey
- 1/4 cup Tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and guts. Drizzle the flesh side with olive oil and place face down on a baking sheet. Bake for about 45 minutes, until you can stick a knife in easily.
- When squash is done, remove from the oven and let it cool for about 5-10 minutes. When it is cool enough to handle, use a fork to scrape out all of the spaghetti squash, until all you have left is the skin. Set the squash in a colander for about 10 minutes to drain all of the excess moisture.
- In the meantime, make the sauce. Put all of the ingredients for the sauce into a small saucepan and whisk to combine. Put over medium-low heat to warm. Don’t let it come to a boil, just keep it warm while you are cooking the rest of the meal.
- Now cook the chicken. Cut the chicken into small pieces and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the chicken with 2 tbsp of olive oil, stir occasionally until chicken is lightly brown.
- Add the peppers, carrots, green onions and garlic, and saute for about 3-4 minutes, until vegetables are tender-crisp. Add the drained spaghetti squash and the sauce to the skillet and stir until evenly distributed.
- Remove from skillet and put the squash mixture into a large bowl. At this time, add the peanuts, and cilantro. Stir.
- To serve, garnish with a few more peanuts and cilantro.
Serves: 6 | Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Per serving: Calories: 290; Total Fat: 13g; Saturated Fat: 3g; Monounsaturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 43mg; Sodium: 801mg; Carbohydrate: 23g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugar: 14g; Protein: 21g
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium: 174mg; Vitamin A: 97%; Vitamin C: 56%; Iron: 13%; Calcium: 6%
Post a Comment